Canada Immigration


The TAMIL way of coming to Canada

CIC Canada

US Immigration


US Immigration Enforcement

World Immigration today


Immigration treats your application the same, whether done by you or your expensive lawyer.

You may want to read this first.>> Do you really need an immigration lawyer or consultant to do your case ?

Many immigration lawyers and practitioners pride themselves on the law schools they attended, kind of successful track record they possess or the certified memberships they hold.

Few pay attention to clients longer than the first acknowledgement letter from immigration and quickly assign them to one of their 'case workers.

Immigration Department anywhere doesn't necessarily want or expect you to use lawyers to do your routine applications. Look at their client representation policy.
  • Canadian Immigration Consultant policy
  • USCIS Attorney policy
  • Unless you have a complex case or something grave like an appeal or impending deportation, you should be able to use excellent online resources, guides and forms available for free from the govt agency website. All forms come with a guide and directions. Most often the lawyers themselves follow them and instruct the clients after reading them.

    Read them slow and easy. You will know how to do those forms and avoid common mistakes.

    Save money, do the application on your own. For your satisfaction, after you do the forms on your own you can show them to a lawyer before submission. He will check and point out any mistakes or deficiencies before final submission.

    If you have to hire a lawyer, ask these questions first.

    1. Do you have experience in the application which I want you to do ? How many similar applications have you done so far ?
    2. Where did you go to (law) school ?
    3. What is your basis for billing ? Hourly or flat ?
    4. What kind of objections or legal problems we can anticipate ?
    5. Will you do this application or delegate it to some other " case worker " in your office ?
    6. What are your contact procedures ? Are you available for contact at all times like on weekends and after office hours or at your convenience (I email you and your auto responder says you will call me back whenever you have time ?)
    7. Can you provide me some referrals from past clients ?
    8. Have you ever been cited by the Law society?
    9. What is your refund policy ?
    10. What happens if this application is denied ?

    What do I do ?

    I do immigration applications with passion. Without concern for fee or profit. No fee. If you like you pay you may donate to a charity of your liking.

    I am good at researching immigration law in new or unusual situations. Let me cite an example.

    Can a temporary foreign worker on NOC 7284 working in Alberta for the past six months apply and satisfy the minimum requirements of Alberta PNP (skilled worker) program? You find out. The difficulty if, there is no criteria for the PNP (for NOC 7284) because it relies on AIT guidelines which says it is neither an optional or mandatory trade. The employer is free to hire anyone without being restricted to govt. guidelines. It takes on an average of approx 11 months to process this kind of application. The applicant will not come to know till about an year if he fits the minimal requirements for PNP. So as an foreign worker with no English and just six months total trade experience and no diploma in trade can you even apply, let alone qualify for PNP? Let me know when you find the answer!
    Where to immigrate ? US or Canada ?

    Canada immigration is very different from the system in US. Look at the principal differences in both the systems. Canadians looking to do business in US ? Click here.

    I deal with all kind of immigration applications and situations related to Canada and USA. Click here to see the range of applications I do.

    Monday, October 1, 2012

    Alberta Pilot for Occupation-Specific Work Permits – Expanded to include 6 (six) additional occupations


    OB 279-D has been revised:

    1. to include Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training (AAIT) short-term authorizations in the Alberta Occupation-Specific Pilot, and
    2. to clarify for employers that they may use the Labour Market Opinion (LMO) or Accelerated Labour Market Opinion (A‑LMO) process rather than the Alberta Occupation-Specific Pilot. If an employer uses the LMO or A‑LMO process, the foreign national(s) should be issued an employer-specific Work Permit (WP).


    This Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) Annex pilot project, launched June 1, 2011, in the Province of Alberta, allows foreign nationals to come to Canada to work temporarily in aspecific occupation and to be issued a WP that allows them to move freely between employers, without requiring an LMO from Service Canada.

    This pilot project was established under the TFW Annex to the Agreement for Canada-Alberta Cooperation on Immigration which contains the following commitment:

    “7.2.1 The Canada-Alberta Working Group on TFWs, defined in section 9.2, will work toward developing occupation-specific (but non-employer specific) WPs for TFWs working in Alberta in the engineering, construction and procurement industries to permit limited mobility of certain high-skilled TFWs within a particular industrial sector.”

    On July 16 , OB 279-D replaced OB 279-C, to advise officers of six additional occupations now included in the Province of Alberta’s TFW Annex occupation-specific pilot project (formerly just for the steamfitter/pipefitter occupation).

    Expanding the Pilot Project

    In addition to steamfitter/pipefitter (NOC 7252), the additional occupations are the following:

    Pilot Project Parameters

    To ensure the protection of the Canadian labour market, TFWs taking part in these additional occupations (including steamfitter/pipefitter) will be required to have an initial job offer from an Alberta employer or an employer acting on behalf of a recognized Group of Employers (GoE) under the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)-Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDCGoE Pilot.

    The job offer from the employer must indicate that the wages offered are consistent with the prevailing wage rate paid to Canadians in the same occupation in the region and that the working conditions for the occupation meet the current provincial labour market standards.

    TFW applicants who have a job offer in the carpenter, estimator, heavy-duty equipment mechanic, ironworker, millwright and industrial mechanic, steamfitter/pipefitter and welder occupations, for a position located in Alberta, from an individual employer or an employer acting on behalf of a recognized GoE under the CIC-HRSDC GoE Pilot, are eligible for one of the following:

    1. a one-year occupation-specific WP or employer-specific WP (with an initial job offer)or
    2. a two-year occupation-specific WP or open WP (with an initial job offer) where workers are free to move between employers

      depending on whether or not they hold an approval letter, an Alberta Qualification Certificate or a trade certificate recognized in the Province of Alberta at the journeyperson level.

      NOTE: Employers may use the LMO or A‑LMO process rather than the Alberta Occupation-Specific Pilot. If an employer uses the LMO or A‑LMO process, the foreign national(s) should be issued an employer-specific WP.

    3. short-term employer-specific WP issued for the duration authorized by AAIT(compulsory trades only). Applicants are not required to have an approval letter fromAAIT as an authorization is issued in lieu.

    Information on AAIT certification requirements to work in a trade in Alberta can be found

    Eligible Applicants Application PeriodDuration of WP

    Uncertified Applicants

    • have an approval letter from AAIT for an application in the Alberta Qualification Certificate Program for one of the trades included under this pilot project, AND
    • have an initial job offer for a position located in Alberta from an individual employer or an employer making a job offer on behalf of a recognized GoE under the CIC-HRSDC GoE Pilot.
    Apply between July 16, 2012 and July 31, 2013 at a visa office or, if applicable, at a Port of Entry (POE).
    Once certified, apply at CPC-Vegreville before the initial work permit expires to continue participation in this pilot project (see Certified Applicants below).
    One-year occupation-specific WP or employer-specific WP. 
    This initial one-year period is to allow TFWs to meet the certification requirements of AAIT while remaining employed by the initial employer. Visible remarks on the WP must state that the application for extension must be accompanied by the Alberta Qualification Certificate.

    Certified Applicants

    • must hold an Alberta Qualification Certificate OR a trade certificate recognized in Alberta (refer in one of the occupations included under this pilot project, AND
    • are currently working for, OR have a job offer from, an employer in Alberta.
    Apply between July 16, 2012 and July 31, 2013, at a visa office or, if applicable, at a POE.
    If applicants are already working in Alberta, they can apply at CPC-Vegreville by July 31, 2013 and before their initial WP expires.
    Two-year occupation-specific WP or open WP. 
    This open WP allows workers to move between Alberta employers in the specific occupation; employers don’t need to be entered in the employer field in the system. Instead, they are noted in the system notes.
    Short-term (compulsory trades only)
    • must have a copy of the Authorization issued by AAIT permitting an Alberta employer to hire a TFW in a specified occupation for specialty work, for a short period of time (generally up to 90 days), OR
    • a job offer that references the authorization number, and dates of employment start and finish
    Apply between July 16, 2012 and July 31, 2013, at a visa office or, if applicable, at a POE. Employer-specific, occupation-specific and location-specific WP for a duration authorized by AAIT (no more than 90 days).

    Qualified Estimators*

    • have a certification by the Canadian Institute of Quantity Surveyors (CIQS); the CIQS website can be viewed at, OR
    • have completed a three-year college program in civil or construction engineering technology, OR
    • have several years of experience as qualified tradespersons in a construction trade such as plumbing, carpentry or electrical.

    *Note: Qualified estimators are not required to apply to the Alberta Qualification Certificate Program, therefore will not have an approval letter from AAIT.

    *Employers hiring estimators under this pilot project must ensure applicants have the qualifications to perform the job duties of the occupation.

    Apply between July 16, 2012 and July 31, 2013, and if already working in Alberta, before the original WP expires. Two-year occupation-specific WP or open WP. 
    This open WP allows workers to move between Alberta employers in the specific occupation; employers don’t need to be entered in the employer field in the system. Instead, they are noted in the system notes.

    Applicants will be required to meet all other applicable federal criteria including the likelihood they will voluntarily leave Canada at the end of the period authorized for their stay. They must also continue to meet all admissibility criteria in order to obtain status as temporary residents in Canada. Additionally, WP approvals may depend on medical examination requirements.


    No WP extensions will be issued under this pilot project.

    System Instructions

    LMO Exemption Code is T13 in conjunction with R204(c) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations: “ … an agreement entered into by the Minister with a province or group of provinces under subsection 8(1) of the Act.” This code must be used on the initial one-year WP and the subsequent two-year open WP.

    Both the initial employer-specific WP and the subsequent open WP should indicate in the “Province” field and in the printed “Conditions” that it is only valid for work performed in the province of Alberta and in one of the occupations specified as inclusive to this pilot project.

    It should also be noted in “Remarks/Notes” that “this WP application is in relation to the Province of Alberta Occupation-Specific Pilot Project – OB 279-D” to assist in statistical research, evaluation and policy-development purposes.


    The pilot project will assess whether or not the issuance of an occupation-specific, but otherwise “open”, WP in an engineering, construction or procurement (ECP) occupation allows for the successful mobility of a skilled TFW within a particular industrial sector.

    A review and evaluation of this pilot project by the Province of Alberta will begin in 2013.


    For more information about this pilot project, call the Immigrate to Alberta Information Service (toll free within Alberta: 1-877-427-6419) or look for the Factsheet on the Alberta Enterprise and Advanced Education website at

    1 comment:

    1. Organized content is the best way to display or post an article, thank you for making it easy to digest your post.

      Work Permit Canada


    Write your comments here....